- Review Blog Post 8 Assignment
- Review Canva (free online graphic design program)
- Practice using Canva to create Instagram posts (for blog post 8)
Blog Post 8: Story Promotion with Instagram
Please download and read through the assignment instructions and grading rubric of Blog Post 8 – Instagram Story Promotion.docx.
The suggested deadline to submit this assignment is this Mon. May. 4 @ 11:59 p.m. Ideally, you will start using Canvas to create Instagram posts for promoting your blog posts 2, 3, 4, 5, & 7, which correspond to:
- The creative devices assignment
- The photojournalism assignment
- The web writing story assignment
- The audio profile assignment
- The Google My Maps assignment (a map screenshot must be included in the respective Instagram post.)
💡Assignment Canva-related requirements recap:
For this assignment, you will learn to use Canva to create graphics designed for promoting your posts on Instagram. You can use your personal Instagram account or start a new one.
- You will make 5 Instagram posts (one post for each of the above 5 assignments) in total
- You are required to use at least one visual that you photographed or designed yourself in each of the 5 posts.
- All the 5 assignments you are about to promote have visuals that you have photographed/designed. You can choose from what your blog posts already have to include in your Instagram posts.
- For a single post, you can include up to 10 images. Ideally, you are encouraged to create a “cover” graphic for each Instagram post, and then include one or two original visuals from your blog posts.
- For example, see our student Jordyn Cunningham Hill’s work: https://www.instagram.com/jchillmedia/
- You are required to use a Canva graphic with text to promote at least one of your 5 Instagram posts. Hence, you are not required to create a Canva graphic for each Instagram post, even though encouraged.
✨Let’s Practice Creating an Instagram Post to Promote Your Creative Devices Blog Post
*No software installment required. While there is a Canva app for smartphones, I suggest working on Canva from your laptop or desktop.
- Create an account on https://www.canva.com/
- Start with Create a Design –> Instagram Post, or start from a “Instagram Posts” template
- Upload your own photo to use as the graphic background or you can use templates found on Canva. Select Uploads on the left side menu –> Upload your own image(s)
- Edit background (Use free ones), elements, and text. Use the text tool to create a promotional post for at least one of your 5 Instagram posts.
How do I get the Canva graphic posted to Instagram?
- You can download the Canva app to your smartphone and then log in with your credentials.
- Next, open Canva on your smartphone and locate the graphic you just created. Download the graphic as a “jpg” file to your phone.
- Open Instagram on your smartphone and post your Canva-designed jpg in an Instagram post.